Monday, April 12, 2010

Last night was their 1st night in their new coop and this morning Bernice's toe was all bloody and worse than originally! They have also pecked on her other foot so now she has one large sore and 2 smaller ones.

I went to the feed store and bought some Black Salve made by Rooster Booster and put it on her feet, after a couple of pecks they pretty much left her alone, because along with being an antiseptic, it tastes nasty.
Well all of them left her alone except the newly Id'd rooster!

After watching them closely, it's been him all along, he instigates it and then the rest of them take over pecking her.
He would NOT leave her alone.

So now he's in the jail box! lol!

The girls have settled right down and all 5 of them are much calmer.
I'm taking him to a livestock auction at 10:30am on Sat.
I knew I didn't want a rooster!

"Nigel" will stay in the box tonight so hopefully, after another application of black salve, they will leave her feet alone in the coop tonight!


Happy thoughts/prayers for Bernice tonight please!
 
A funny thing happened at the feed store though. I walked in and saw and elderly gentleman in a wheelchair picking out some seed corn from a special container. The helper bagged it and put it on the counter and the old man wheeled off to browse the store further.
I went up to the counter with my salve and a bag of chicken cabbage chain and I paid, he put my purchase in a bag and off I went home.
Due to some nasty roadwork and a quick trip to get the cabbage I didn't get home for 45 minutes.
I opened up the bag and took my salv and chain out and lo and behold the bottom of the bag was full of seed corn!
 
I called the feed store and told them my bag was full of corn and that guy just about busted a gut laughing! "We've been looking all over for that corn!"
The salesman had spaced out and put my stuff in the same bag as the old man's corn and I thought the weight was because of the chain!
 
I asked what should I do with it, he said to bring it back or plant it - I told him I wasn't about to drive another 45 min and he said fine, it was their mistake.
After I hung up I thought about it and called him back, I wanted to know what kind of corn.
"$25.50 a pound corn" he replied!
 
Sheesh! Seems it's a special type, Super Sweet and it's quite sought after around here. It comes pink because of something they put on it, fungicide I think.
I told him that I felt guilty keeping it and he said that if I plant it I will like it so much that they will get a new Super Sweet customer.
 
I hope so....I'll keep you posted as it grows!

1 comment:

  1. I'll help you eat the corn! :)
    I kinda sound like the little red hen....

    ReplyDelete