Monday, November 2, 2015

11/2/2015 All Soul's Day






Today I am thankful for:

+ Mondays - I have no work on Monday so I stay in bed reading for as long as possible.
+ My oldest son, for calling us up to join him at our little cemetery in town to pray for the faithful departed.
+ My little grandbabies who make me so happy to visit with them, but also so happy I don't have babies at home anymore!
+ Torrential downpours when I am safe and dry inside my house

Today I am praying for:
+My high school friend who lost her daughter to CF - My friend is the strongest woman I know, and I am so thankful she is sharing her feelings about this journey of sorrow she is on.
+All my deceased family and friends and also for all people who have no one left to remember to pray for them
+For J and J, may he overcome all his challenges and may J be his reason for triumphing over his cross.


Today I am reading:

+ Mrs. Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, by Ransom Riggs - Actually I am re-reading it in advance of this new book, the 3rd in the series, that just came out. I really likes Mrs. Peregrine, but the 2nd book, Hollow City, was hard to follow. I'm hoping that a re-reading of both of them will answer some questions.
It's about a young man's coming of age amidst death and a fantasmical ( real word, no lie!! :-)  ) journey to another dimension/world filled with danger, more death and love. It's funny in parts, especially when describing his fellow "peculiars" but it's also sad, especially the children in the home, caught in a horrible continual repeat of the last day of their lives. And when it all falls apart, it seems like that was the least of their fears.


Today I am looking toward: 
+ The holidays! Crafts, baking, shopping, music, the joy of family.
+ Snow? Please?
+ A Christmas time trip to Spokane with a visit to the Davenport hotel to see all the beautiful decorations and a visit across the street to Bruttles to see all the beautiful chocolates!


Today I am remembering:
+ How much I used to enjoy my job, and Sundays. To go to Mass and know that I belonged somewhere. My boss/friend/spiritual director was reassigned and I feel cheated, betrayed and at a loss with how to move forward. I told him as he said goodbye, that as an Army Brat (he is a navy Brat!) I am used to saying goodbye. It's funny, I raged in the car all the way home that day, and I thought I got it out of my system, but I didn't.  But I will, I always do. Time heals so many wounds, we'll find a rhythm in our new parish and who knows, we might even find a few friends! But I will never ever ever find a boss as fun Fr. Maurer is. Trekkie, gaming geek, computer nerd and one of the most reverent priests who ever was too scared to watch The Walking Dead!



No comments:

Post a Comment